Welcome to the University of Hong Kong Libraries (HKUL). HKUL was established in 1912 and is the oldest academic library in Hong Kong with over two million volumes of collections. It now comprises of the Main Library and six specialist branch libraries and they are located in buildings in around the campus with varying opening hours.
- Is HKUL open to the public?
HKUL serves current faculty, students, staff, and researchers who hold valid HKU IDs. However, the Libraries does serve people with research needs or an interest in supporting the Libraries:
- HKUL Circle of Friends:
- Join HKUL community as HKU Graduate / HKU SPACE Graduate / Centennial College Graduate / External Individual / Non-profit Institution / Corporation. Submit an e-form for card application or go to Enquiries Counter on the 2/F at Main Library (New Wing). More information can be found at Circle of Friends or you may wish to call 2859-8903.
- Staff and Students at UGC-funded institutions
- Terms of Service I (or equivalent) staff and Postgraduates: You may obtain a JULAC (Joint University Libraries Advisory Committee) Card for access to HKU Libraries. The card will entitle you to take out a maximum of 12 items. Enquire at your institution's library for eligibility information and application details.
- Full-time undergraduates: You may get a Reader's Card which is valid till 31 July of each current academic year. Enquire at your institution's library for eligibility information and application details.
- Scholars and full-time degree student of overseas universities
- Scholars and full-time students of overseas universities with a bona fide research need are in general given on-site access to the library without borrowing right for a maximum of 3 months within one academic year. The Card can be applied by sending the supporting documents to the Lending Services Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance. More information can be found at Library Card Applications.
- Members of the public in Hong Kong
- Members of the public in Hong Kong who can demonstrate a bona fide research need to use the library's academic resources may be given on-site access privileges to the library for up to 3 days within an academic year. This access does not include borrowing privileges. To apply for access to the Libraries, please send a request addressed to the Lending Services Librarian at email@example.com in advance.
- Who can have remote access to online resources available through HKUL website?
HKUL is contractually obligated to limit remote access to most HKUL e-resources to current HKU students, faculty, staff, and researchers who hold HKU IDs and PINs.
- How can I find out if HKUL has a particular book or journal?
Visit the Find@HKUL to search HKUL’s holdings of books, journals, e-resources, and more. For more information, consult information literacy tutorials to find the quick guides and demos.
- Does HKUL participate in Interlibrary Loans?
Yes. To obtain HKUL material through Interlibrary Loans (ILL), consult the ILL librarian in your home library or institution. Note that charges may apply for interlibrary loans.
- Borrowing & Returns
- Borrowing Privileges
- Online Renewal
- Holds and Recalls
- Searching for a Missing Item (On-campus only)
- Library Notification Services
- Facilities: Find out more about the facilities available and book a space via Facilities Booking System
- Library Card Application
- Teaching, Learning and Research Support
- Collection Development
- Document Delivery Service
- Inter-branch Delivery Service (Gold or Platinum members only)
- Storage Collection Request: Gold or Platinum members can send online request to retrieve items with the location “Storage” in the Library catalogue. Silver members may request at the Main Library or any branch library circulation counter for retrieval of physical volumes only.
- Technical Support