Welcome to the University of Hong Kong Libraries (HKUL). HKUL was established in 1912 and is the oldest academic library in Hong Kong with over two million volumes of collections. While the total stock in physical volumes has been growing, the electronic collection has also witnessed a rapid expansion.
HKUL now comprises of the Main Library and six specialist branch libraries, namely the Dental, Education, Fung Ping Shan (East Asian Language), Yu Chun Keung Medical, Lui Che Woo Law and the Music Library. They are located in buildings in around the campus with varying opening hours.
- Is HKUL open to the public?
First and foremost, HKUL serves current faculty, students, staff, and researchers who hold valid HKU IDs. However, the Libraries does serve people with research needs or an interest in supporting the Libraries:
- HKUL Circle of Friends
To be part of this HKUL community, you are welcome to join HKUL Circle of Friends which is a group of friends and book lovers who support the Libraries. Along with the pleasure of knowing that you are supporting one of the great intellectual resources of the region, you may enjoy various benefits like on-site use of library resources, borrowing privileges and many more. More information can be found at https://lib.hku.hk/cof/ or you may wish to call 2859-8903.
- Graduate of HKU SPACE
Graduate of HKU SPACE programmes can join the Libraries as a member of the HKUL Circle of Friends. More information can be found at https://lib.hku.hk/cof/ or you may wish to call 2859-8903.
- Higher degree student or Terms of Service I (or equivalent) staff member at a UGC-funded institution
You may obtain a JULAC (Joint University Libraries Advisory Committee) Card for access to HKU Libraries. The card will entitle you to take out a maximum of 10 items. Enquire at your institution's library for eligibility information and application details.
- Full-time degree student at UGC-funded institution
You may get a Reader's Card which is valid till 31 July of each current academic year. Enquire at your institution's library for eligibility information and application details.
- Scholars and full-time degree student of overseas universities
Scholars and full-time students of overseas universities with a bona fide research need are in general given on-site access to the library without borrowing right for a maximum of 3 months within one academic year. Please note that part-time students of overseas universities as well as external students of distance learning courses and programmes are not eligible for this privilege. The Card can be applied by sending the supporting documents to the Lending Services Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance.
- Supporting documents
- A letter from your institution signed by your supervisor specifying what materials are needed from the Libraries
- HKID card/ Passport
- Staff or student identification
- Supporting documents
- Members of the public in Hong Kong
Members of the public in Hong Kong who can demonstrate a bona fide research need to use the library's academic resources may be given on-site access privileges to the library for up to 3 days within an academic year. This access does not include borrowing privileges. To apply for access to the Libraries, please send a request addressed to the Lending Services Librarian at email@example.com in advance.
- Who can have remote access to online resources available through HKUL website?
HKUL is contractually obligated to limit remote access to most HKUL e-resources to current HKU students, faculty, staff, and researchers who hold HKU IDs and PINs.
- How can I find out if HKUL has a particular book or journal?
Visit the web-based DRAGON Catalogue at http://library.hku.hk/ to search HKUL’s holdings of books, journals, e-resources, and more. For more information, consult /general/research/quick_guides.html.
- Does HKUL participate in Interlibrary Loans?
Yes. To obtain HKUL material through Interlibrary Loans (ILL), consult the ILL librarian in your home library or institution. Note that for most interlibrary loans, charges apply.
- Join us and become a friend
- Borrowing & Returns (Gold / Platinum Members Only)
- Collection Development
- Document Delivery Service
- Inter-branch Delivery Request Form for HKUL Books (Gold / Platinum members only)
- Inter-branch Delivery Request Form for HKALL and ILL Books (Gold / Platinum members only)
- Storage Collection Request Form (Gold / Platinum members only)
Silver Members may request at the Main Library or any branch library circulation counter for retrieval of physical volumes only.
- Facilities Booking
- Technical Support
- Off-Campus Access to Libraries electronic resources (Platinum members only)