- Registration and Borrowing Services
- Mobile Payment via HKU uPay app
- Self-Service Collection
- Learning and Research Services
- Interlibrary Services
- Photocopying, Printing and Scanning Services
- Think Tank
- Level 3
- Study Places
- E-Learning Lab
- Library Corner
- Overnight Open Area (G/F)
Registration and Borrowing Services
Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Lending Services Division provides services related to registration of library users, loan and return of materials, as well as access to library facilities. Counter services are available until 30 minutes prior to closing. Find out more about the services available:
Mobile Payment via HKU uPay app
To support university-wide “in store” merchandising, mobile payment service is available at the Main Library. The Library collects payment on a mobile Point-of-Sales (mPOS) platform and users can pay on-site via Alipay, AlipayHK, Apple Pay and Google Pay. The mobile payment service is open to all library users and login is not required.
- Users should download the HKU uPay app on Apple’s App Store or Google Play. Please consult the User Guide for HKU uPay app supported by Information Technology Services (ITS).
- Scan the QR code generated by Library counter staff to process payment and choose the mobile payment methods offered in the app to pay
- Review the payment history on the HKU uPay app
- Mobile payment service is available until 1.5 hours prior to library closing
|Lending Services Counter||Enquiries Counter|
Special Collections Image Reproduction Fee
|JULAC Card Fee
Card Processing Fee
Library Card Fee - New Issue
Library Card Fee - Replacement
* Mobile payment for Course pack and uPrint services is not available.
Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Self-Service Collection houses course reserves and hold books. Registered users tap or scan their library cards to enter.
- Course reserves are recommended materials by teaching staff for course reading purposes.
- Hold books are requested items that are ready for your collection. Items are arranged alphabetically by requestor’s surname. Use the self-check machine in the Self-Service Room to borrow your hold books.
Learning and Research Services
Learning and Research Services aims to support teaching, learning and research for the University community. We offer tools and services supporting different stages of the research cycle. Find out more about these services.
The Lending Services Counter is located on the 2/F of Main Library. It helps eligible members of the University community to procure materials which are not available in the HKU Libraries. Find out more about the services available:
- Interlibrary Loan
- Interlibrary Loan (Central Fund subsidised)
- Interbranch Loan
- JULAC Cards
Photocopying, Printing and Scanning Services
- Self-service Copiers on all floors; a color copier on the Special Collections, 1st floor (New Wing)
- Microfilm, Microfiche and Transparency Printing
- Find out more about the services available
Situated on the G/F, the Think Tank comprised of the Quiet Study area and the adjacent Deep Quiet Study area, the Special Collections Joseph Needham Room, and the Seminar Room. The Think Tank lies central on the Ground Floor both geographically and psychologically.
The Ingenium derives its name from the adjective, ‘ingenious’, which evokes invention, imagination, and innovation. Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Ingenium is an interdisciplinary space for the University community to be inspired by and to interact with technology. To learn more about Ingenium.
Located on the 3rd floor of the Main Library, Level 3 is a learning commons style facility providing a variety of spaces suitable for different learning styles including reflective self-study as well as collaborative study. With a floor area of 3,100 square metres, Level 3 comprises 5 zones, namely Technology, Collaboration, Study, Breakout and Multi-purpose. Find out more about the Level 3 facility.
The Main Library has over 1,440 study spaces, making it the most ideal place to study on campus. Find out more about the facilities available:
- Study Tables
- Single Study Rooms
- Special Room For Visually Impaired Students
- Group Discussion Rooms
Located on the G/F of the Main Library, the E-Learning Lab is a multi-purpose mini-theatre designed for library instruction, conferences and seminars. The room has a seating capacity of 46, and each seat is equipped with a high-end notebook computer connected to the Internet.
The Library Corner is located on the ground floor of the Main Library. It is a separate part from the library with learning commons style facilities.
To save energy, the new air-conditioning system is also equipped with motion sensors such that its operation can be automatically adjusted when no user is detected in that area.
Overnight Open Area (G/F)
The ground floor of the Main Library (except for the E-learning Lab and Joseph Needham Room) is open for overnight use. Services include individual/group study spaces, research carrels (Note: priority is given to those students assigned research carrels), access to PCs, printing and photocopying. Borrowing/Returning services are unavailable during the overnight opening hours.
Beyond the opening hours of the Main Library, HKU staff and students can access the overnight facility via the secure swing door at the G/F ancillary entrance. The area will be closed for cleaning between 7:30am and 8:30am from Monday to Saturday and between 9:00am and 10:00am on Sunday. Please consult webpage for opening hours of Overnight Open Area.