- Learning and Research Services
- Lending Services
- Mobile Payment via HKU uPay app
- Photocopying, Printing and Scanning Services
- Registration Services
- Self-service Collection
- E-Learning Lab
- Level 3
- Library Corner
- Overnight Open Area (G/F Library Corner)
- Study Places
- Think Tank
Learning and Research Services
Learning and Research Services aims to support teaching, learning and research for the University community. We offer tools and services supporting different stages of the research cycle. Find out more about these services.
- Hong Kong Academic Library Link (HKALL): Borrow items from other UGC-funded university libraries
- Interlibrary loan (ILL) and Article Delivery Services: Borrow items or request articles delivery from local and overseas universities
- Inter-branch Delivery Service: Request delivery of items among HKU Libraries
- Storage Collection Request: Borrow items from storage
- Learn more about borrowing, returning and renewal
Mobile Payment via HKU uPay app
To support university-wide "in store" merchandising, mobile payment service is available at service counter on the 2/F of the Main Library. The Library collects payment on a mobile Point-of-Sales (mPOS) platform and users can pay on-site via Alipay, AlipayHK, Apple Pay and Google Pay. This service is open to all library users and login is not required.
Points to note:
- Users should download the HKU uPay app on Apple's App Store or Google Play. Please consult the User Guide for HKU uPay app supported by Information Technology Services (ITS).
- Scan the QR code generated by Library staff to process payment and choose the mobile payment method offered in the app to pay.
- Review the payment history on the HKU uPay app.
- Mobile payment service is available until 1.5 hours before library closing.
- Mobile payment service is not applicable for payment of course pack and uPrint service.
Photocopying, Printing and Scanning Services
The Library provides photocopying and printing facilities operate on a quota-based system (uPrint) in all floors, and scanning facilities without charges.
- Location and quick guide for photocopying, printing and scanning
- How to top-up value to your uPrint account?
- Copyright guidelines for photocopying, printing and scanning
The Enquiries Counter is located on the 2/F of the Main Library, which provides services related to registration of various library users, reader's cards that allows entry to other non-UGC libraries, etc.
Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Self-Service Collection houses course reserve materials and HKU requested books. You can simply tap your staff/student/facilities access card to access course reserve materials or pick up the requested books.
- Course reserve collection is composed of recommended materials by teaching staff for course reading purposes.
- Requested books on shelf are available for self-pick up and check out. Books are arranged in alphabetical order by your surname.
Located on the G/F of the Main Library, the E-Learning Lab is a multi-purpose mini-theatre designed for library instruction, conferences and seminars. The room has a seating capacity of 46, and each seat is equipped with a laptop connected to the Internet.
The Ingenium derives its name from the adjective, 'ingenious', which evokes invention, imagination, and innovation. Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Ingenium is an interdisciplinary space for the University community to be inspired by and to interact with technology.
Located on the Level 3 of the Main Library, Level 3 is a learning commons style facility providing a variety of spaces suitable for different learning styles including reflective self-study as well as collaborative study. With a floor area of 3,100 square metres, Level 3 comprises 5 zones, namely Technology, Collaboration, Study, Breakout and Multi-purpose.
Located on the G/F of the Main Library. It is a separate part from the library with learning commons style facilities. For energy saving, a new air-conditioning system equipped with motion sensors such that its operation can be automatically adjusted when no user is detected in that area.
Overnight Open Area (G/F Library Corner)
The Library Corner on G/F of the Main Library is open for overnight use and services include individual/group study spaces and access to PCs. Additional learning space can be found at Chi Wah Learning Commons.
Beyond the opening hours of the Main Library, HKU staff and students can access the overnight facility via the entrance facing the Sun Yat-sen Steps. The area will be closed for cleaning between 8:00am and 8:30am from Monday to Saturday and between 9:30am and 10:00am on Sunday. Please consult webpage for opening hours of Overnight Open Area. In case of an emergency after normal library hours, please contact the Security Control Centre at 3917-2882.
- Study Tables
- Single Study Rooms
- Special Study Room for students with special educational needs (SEN)
- Group Discussion Rooms
Located on the G/F of the Main Library, the Think Tank comprised of the Quiet Study area and the adjacent Deep Quiet Study area, the Special Collections Joseph Needham Room, and the Seminar Room. The Think Tank lies central on the Ground Floor both geographically and psychologically.