The Ingenium derives its name from the adjective, ‘ingenious’, which evokes invention, imagination, and innovation. Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Ingenium is an interdisciplinary space for the University community to be inspired by and to interact with technology.
The Ingenium comprises 3 zones:
Exhibition and Event Space
- Exhibition Area
- Multi-purpose Area
Library Innovation Centre
- 3D Printers and Scanners
- Digital Interactive Lab
- Editing Rooms
- Laser Engraver & Cutter
- One Button Studio
- Vinyl Cutter
- GLAM Lab
- Immersive Technology Space
- VR Salon (G/F)
- Concept and Creation Rooms
- Access to virtual reality (VR) hardware and software
- VR Salon supports 360-video editing and a small group of 2-4 people to view 360 immersive video
- Access to 3D printers and scanners, vinyl cutter, laser engraver and cutter with the goal of making 3D technology available to HKU student, faculty, and staff
- Small innovative spaces (Concept and creation rooms) are reservable for consultations, brainstorming of new ideas, and for collaborative work among researchers, etc.
- Digital Interactive Lab with a large data visualization wall and portable digital whiteboard system that can support data visualization and presentation of high definition images for digital scholarly research and knowledge exchange in instructional classes, conferences and seminars
- Editing rooms and PC/MAC workstations are designed for multimedia production and post-production, digital photography, and other media projects
- One button studio that can be reserved for students and staff to practice for presentations and interviews, review thesis or dissertation defenses, create instructional videos and dramatic effects with the green screen
- Offer regular scheduled workshops and training programme on digital devices
- Provide consultation sessions with technical expertise/specialists by appointment to support the library users in use of the digital devices
- Flexible large group meeting, exhibition and event space that can be reserved for book talks, flipped classroom, conference, art exhibits, webinars, and workshops, etc.
- Two special study rooms in the Ingenium which provide a dedicated learning space for Special Education Needs (SEN) students who can access these rooms with their student cards.
The Ingenium is open during the Main Library’s regular opening hours.
2/F, Main Library