Level 3 comprises five major zones providing a range of learning spaces for different study needs of today's learners. The area is covered by wireless hotspots facilitating users in accessing the Internet with their own handheld devices. All zones, except for the Study Zone, are designed to foster collaborative work and therefore quiet discussions are to be expected. Noise level, however, has to be kept to a minimum in order not to disturb the other users. Online reservation of these facilities are available and users should read the Booking Policy.
The Technology Zone offers over 100 computers with Internet connection and software applications in support of study and research. Users can search for information amidst the myriad electronic resources available through HKUL and produce assignments or projects with the software provided. The variety of software available includes Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, EndNote, and others. Some computers are equipped with flat bed or high speed scanners as well.
- Communal Virtual PC (For current HKU students and staff only)
- Computer nos. 1-12, 15-31, 51-52, 91-108
- Common software list for Communal VPC
- Flatbed scanners supporting paper size up to A3 (EpsonGT20000) - Computer nos. 66, 73
- Professional film scanners with film trays (EpsonV700) - Computer nos. 61, 62, 63, 67, 76, 78, 81
- Fast speed scanners (can scan both sides at one go) (EpsonS80) - Computer nos. 64, 69, 70, 74, 75
- Express scanners (HP Digital Sender Flow 8500 fn1 and Epson Expression 11000XL) - next to the e-Newspaper workstation
- Network printing
- uPrint operated printers connected to computers and the express printing station in the Technology Zone
- Microsoft Office 2019 - Computer nos. 1-108
- Adobe Creative Cloud- Computer nos. 74, 75
- Endnote X9 - Computer nos. 31-50
- Endnote 20 - Computer nos. 1-30, 51-81, 86-108
- SPSS - Computer nos. 42-60
- NVivo - Computer nos. 58-60
- Input methods
- Q9 Chinese input method (九方中文輸入法) - Computer nos. 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50
- Penpower Handwriter - Computer nos. 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 64, 69, 70, 74, 75
- Viewers for reading library subscribed e-resources
- SDC Platinum - Computer 82
- Wind Financial Database 资讯金融终端 - Computer 83
- 四部叢刊, 四庫全書, 中國基本古籍庫, 永樂大典 - Computer 84, 85
When using the computers in the library, please observe The University of Hong Kong Statement of Ethics on Computer Use
With a variety of single study places, the Study Zone serves as an ideal place for private and reflective research.
Study facilities include:
HKU higher degree students, enrolled in Master or Doctoral programmes, can apply for one of the 29 Research Carrels on a semi-monthly basis. Each carrel is equipped with a locker accessible using the student card of the assigned user. Application procedure is as follows:
- Application for the 1st half of each month: between 16th and 25th of the preceding month
- Application for the 2nd half of each month: between 1st and 11th of the same month
- A draw will take place to allocate these spaces. Successful applicants will be informed by email. Online confirmation is required before 29th (for 1st half month booking) and 15th (for 2nd half month booking). The research carrel must be activated onsite within the first 3 days of the booking period. Otherwise, the facility will be considered as unclaimed and will be allocated to students on the waiting list in sequential order.
There are altogether 44 study tables available for reservation on short loan ranging from 4 to 5 hours. Each table is partitioned providing a private alcove for quiet study. Reservation for these study tables is open to eligible library users.
Deep Quiet Room
The 7 study tables in the deep quiet room are available for reservation on short loan ranging from 4 to 5 hours. The deep quiet room is strictly for reading and study only and, therefore, does not allow the use of computers or audiovisual equipment. Reservation for the study tables in the deep quiet room is open to eligible library users.
The Collaboration Zone provides an environment that fosters group discussion. In the centre of this zone are open clusters for group discussions. Of significance in this zone are the 19 discussion rooms, each equipped with state-of-the-art technology. Users can reserve these rooms for a maximum of 2 hours per day.
Facilities available include:
19 Discussion Rooms
- Commercial grade TV panel
- Laptops are available on loan from 2/F Lending Services Counter at request
- Webcams with built-in microphone for web conferencing supporting up to 1080p auto focus video capture
- KVM switches for easy switching from notebooks to other equipment for group discussion rooms
In view of the latest situation of Covid-19, users may find the current maximum seating capacity for each Discussion Room via online booking.
This is the place for quiet chatting and relaxation where users can read magazines. Two e-Newspaper workstations and a water fountain are installed in this Zone.
The Multi-purpose Zone is a venue offering flexible space management. Users can choose their preferred spot as the study tables and chairs are on wheels. When there is a library event, such as exhibitions, conferences and book talks, the area can partitioned and transformed to sound-proof rooms. With its state-of-the-art technology, the various pieces of equipment, such as sound and recording, electronic curtains, and projection screen digital podium, can easily be controlled through a central system using an iPad.