Lending Services Counter

Banner for Main Library

Lending Services Counter


Books on open stacks can be borrowed at the Lending Services Counter or self-check machines by users with valid borrower's cards. Please bring the books and present your staff/student/facilities access card to complete the check out procedure. HKALL and interlibrary loan items can be collected at the Lending Service Counter. Circulation services are available until 30 minutes prior to closing.

Please click here to show your borrowing privileges. Most checked out books could be renewed up to the maximum loan period if they have not been requested by another user. You may also place a request on an item checked out by someone else. You will be notified once the item is returned. Please note that checked out books may be required to be returned earlier than the original due date if recalled by another user.



Checked out books must be returned to the Libraries on or before the due date. All materials on loan periods of 15 days or more can be returned to any circulation counters in the HKU Libraries. In other words, a Medical Library book on 30-day loan can be returned via the Main Library Lending Services Counter. Items on short loans (14 days or less, such as the audio-visual materials, journals, pamphlets and reserve materials) have to be returned to the counter / department where the item is charged out.

Besides, books borrowed on JULAC Card can be returned to the lending UGC-funded libraries via the Lending Services Counter during counter hours. To allow time for despatch, the Libraries will only accept items two or more working days before their due date. Overdue items will not be accepted.


Other services

The Lending Services Counter also provides the following services throughout the counter hours.

  • Adding value to Octopus cards
  • Lost and Found
    • Lost items found in the Main Library will usually be sent to the Lending Services Counter. You can claim lost property by showing proof of ownership. Claims should be made as soon as possible. Unclaimed items will be transferred to the Security Control Centre of the Estates Office. You may also report loss of personal belongings at the Lending Services Counter.