What is a JULAC Card?
JULAC stands for Joint University Librarians Advisory Committee. JULAC Card holders can:
- Borrow books from other UGC-funded libraries on registration at the visited libraries.
- Return items to the lending UGC-funded libraries via the Lending Services and Learning Environments Division during library opening hours. To allow time for despatch, the Libraries will only accept items two or more working days before their due date. Overdue items will not be accepted.
- Users should note that they are bound by library regulations of the visited libraries and will be required to pay fines for overdue books at the rate set by those libraries.
- Users should also note that the numbers of UGC libraries participated in the JULAC access are varied in different programs. Please enquire at the Enquiries Counter of the Main Library for details. Please also OBSERVE the Restricted Access Periods of individual libraries by checking their webpages before paying a visit.
- UGC-funded libraries may implement blackout periods to all JULAC Library Card holders according to the needs of their own users. Please check the webpages or directly with the libraries concerned for details of the blackout periods.
Who is eligible to apply for JULAC Card (Borrower)?
- HKU Teaching, Professional & Senior Administrative staff
- HKU Research staff (including Research Assistants and Demonstrators)
- HKU Postgraduates of higher degree / diploma / certificate programmes in the University of Hong Kong
Can undergraduates apply for JULAC Card (Reader)?
HKU undergraduate students are eligible to apply for reader's access to gain admission to other UGC-funded libraries. Reader's card does not carry borrowing privileges and is valid from 1st August to 31st July of the following year. Students are entitled to apply for reader cards each year during their course of study. A cost-recovery notional charge of $50 will be collected for each host library per year.
How can I apply for a JULAC Card?
Please submit the e-form in advance. The processing time of JULAC card application is 7 working days without further notice. You can pick up the JULAC card in person at the Enquiries Counter (2/F, Main Library) with your HKU staff / student card / facilities access card. A fee of $50 will be levied for the replacement of lost card.
Can books borrowed using a JULAC Card be returned to the HKU Libraries?
Items borrowed by HKU JULAC cardholders from other UGC-funded libraries can be returned at the Lending Services Counter (2/F, Main Library) during service hours. The Library will only accept items two or more working days before the due date. Overdue items will not be accepted. Users should also note that they are bound by the library regulations of the visited libraries and will be required to pay fines for overdue books at the rate set by those libraries.