What is a JULAC Card?
JULAC stands for Joint University Librarians Advisory Committee. JULAC Card holders can:
- Borrow books from other UGC-funded libraries on registration at the visited libraries.
- Return items to the lending UGC-funded libraries via the Lending Services Division during library opening hours. To allow time for despatch, the Libraries will only accept items two or more working days before their due date. Overdue items will not be accepted.
- Users should note that they are bound by library regulations of the visited libraries and will be required to pay fines for overdue books at the rate set by those libraries.
- Users should also note that the numbers of UGC libraries participated in the JULAC access are varied in different programs. Please enquire at the Enquiries Counter of the Main Library for details. Please also OBSERVE the Restricted Access Periods of individual libraries by checking their webpages before paying a visit.
Who is eligible to apply for this Card?
- HKU Teaching, Professional & Senior Administrative staff
- Research staff (including Research Assistants and Demonstrators)
- HKU postgraduates of higher degree / diploma / certificate programmes in the University of Hong Kong
Can undergraduates apply for this JULAC Card?
All UGC funded undergraduate students are eligible to apply for reader's access to gain admission to other UGC-funded libraries. This reader's card does not carry borrowing privileges and is valid until 31 July of each academic year. Students are entitled to apply for reader cards each year during their course of study. A cost-recovery notional charge of $50 will be collected for each host library per year. Student need to apply for the card each year.
How can I apply for a JULAC Card / a Reader's card?
Please complete the e-form in advance. The application processing time is 7 working days.
- What to bring for card collection at Enquiries Counter
- Student card/ staff card/ facilities access card
- Cost of replacement
A fee of $50 will be levied for the replacement of lost card.
Can books borrowed using a JULAC Card be returned to the HKU Libraries?
JULAC Card holders may return books borrowed from other UGC libraries to the Lending Services Counter of the Main Library. However, to allow time for despatch, the Libraries will only accept items two or more working days prior to the due date. Overdue items will not be accepted. Users should also note that they are bound by the library regulations of the visited libraries and will be required to pay fines for overdue books at the rate set by those libraries.