Holds and Recalls
The service aims to expedite the circulation of high-demand books. The online request may lead to a recall of the checked out items or place it on hold for another user. The loan period will be shortened once users place a hold on an item and users will then receive an email or SMS notification for a new due date of the recalled item.
- What kinds of materials can be requested / recalled?
- How to place a hold?
- How many requests can I make?
- When can I pick up the requested item?
- How should I respond to a recall?
- What if the book is not returned to the library on the new due date?
Items can be requested and recalled if:
- An item is checked-out by another patron or other UGC-funded libraries
- An item with the status “on holdshelf”
Online requests are rejected under the following conditions:
- An item is not requestable (e.g. 3-hours loan period)
- An item with the status “Available” (Please fill in e-form for searching a missing item)
- An item is located at owning library
The borrower whose borrowing privilege has been suspended or terminated
- Borrower's account has outstanding charges that exceeds the prescribed limit
- Borrower's account has overdue recalled item or more than 5 long overdue items
- Sign in before placing a request on checked-out item
- Locate the desired requested item in Find@HKUL.
- Click on "Request this copy" button in "Get it" tab in order to place a hold
- Fill out the resource information and choose preferred pickup location. Check the box to indicate your agreement to the above copyright statement and terms.
- Click "Request" button to submit the request online.
- A confirmation message "Request placed" is shown if the request is successful. An email notification will be sent to users when the requested item is ready for pick-up.
|User Type||Request Quota for EACH category
(Physical items / Digitization)
|Academic, Professional & Senior Administrative and Research Staff||25|
|HKU Postgraduates and Undergraduates||10|
|SPACE Academic staff||10|
|Other Registered Borrowers:
(i) Physical items requests: Request of physical items includes Inter-branch and Hing Wai Storage requests
(ii) Digitalization requests: Request of library materials in Hing Wai storage delivered electronically
|Loan Period of Requested Item||Wait Period|
|1 day, 2 days||1 day|
|7 days, 14 days||2 days|
|60 days, 180 days||7 days|
All loans items are subject to recall once the item is requested by another user. The loan period will be shortened from the date of recall. User will receive a recall notice via email or SMS once the loaned item is requested by another patron. A new due date will supersede all previous loan periods or due dates. Users are advised to return the recalled item within 14 days from the date of recall to avoid overdue fines incurred or suspension of borrowing privilege.
Overdue fines of $5.00 per day will be levied for late returns of recalled items. The patron will be blocked from further borrowing, renewals, or requests until all overdue recalled items are returned.