- Borrowers will be held responsible for the library materials in their possession.
- Borrowers will be billed for the repair/replacement cost if
- an item which is overdue for 30 days or more and not returned will be assumed to has been lost by the borrower.
- an item reported loss by the borrower.
- an item you borrowed has been damaged while on loan to you. Damage may include the broken spine, stains, markings in pencil/pen/highlighter, missing pages/accompanying materials, scratched or cracked audio-visual materials, etc.
What should I do for lost/damaged items?
- Any defect, loss or damage to library material should be reported to the respective libraries as soon as noticed.
- Any damage to the library materials should be reported to the library staff at the service counter before you borrow the items. If an item is returned in damaged condition, you may be charged for the repair/replacement cost.
- The library staff will investigate the matter for you. If the borrowed item is confirmed lost or damaged beyond repair, we will send you an invoice and add the replacement cost to your library account.
Points to note:
- The items reported as damaged/lost will remain in the user's account until the borrowers have settled the payment.
- All library materials shall remain vested in the properties of the University Libraries. Borrowers are not allowed to keep the damaged/lost items even if the items were later found or the replacement charges have been paid.
- If the item that has been reported lost is later found and returned to the library, the borrower shall still be liable to pay the processing fee of HK$100 and the overdue fine will be calculated up to the return date.
How to pay for a compensation?
- User will be charged for the repair cost and any fines accrued. Overdue fines will be accumulated until the item is returned.
- The repair charges should be paid to the respective libraries.
- User will be charged for the full value of replacement, the processing fee of HK$100 and any fines accrued. Overdue fines will be accumulated until the item is reported lost.
- Please follow the payment instructions in accordance with instructions from the Finance and Enterprises Office (FEO). The replacement charges should be paid to the FEO. A sub-charge of 10% of the total amount will be added to the unpaid invoice for late payment.
- All paid charges are non-refundable. Request for refund will not be considered once payment is made.
- Once you have paid the invoice, you should bring the receipt in-person or attach the receipt via email to the respective libraries with the following information: your name and HKU Portal UID / Library card number. The circulation record will be updated upon received the payment receipt from you.