Hong Kong Academic Library Link (HKALL) is a JULAC (Joint University Librarians Advisory Committee) collaborative book loan service. Eligible users can request items that are not available in home libraries and have the items delivered to HKU Main Library and branch libraries.
Click here to access HKALL through Find@HKUL
- Eligibility, Loan/Request Quota, and Periods
- Requesting HKALL items
- Overdue and Fines
- Loss and Damage of HKALL Books
Eligibility, Loan/Request Quota and Periods
|Eligible Users||HKALL Loan/Request Quota*||Loan period (days)||Maximum Renewal Period (days)|
|HKU||Academic, Professional and Senior Administrative and Research staff||30||30 days||90 days|
|15||30 days||90 days|
|15||15 days||45 days|
|HKU SPACE||Academic staff||15||30 days||90 days|
International College (IC) Students
Community College Students
Centennial College Students
|15||15 days||45 days|
*The HKALL loan and request quota will be counted in your total loan quota. The quota will be taken up once the HKALL item has been requested and only be released when the item is returned and checked-in by the lending library.
Requesting HKALL items
Making HKALL request
- Visit “Find@HKUL” library catalogue to initiate searching.
- Sign in before conducting a search in order to get full access to features provided in Find@HKUL. Find out more about the HKUL login and PIN.
- Conduct a search and select "HKALL" search scope under the search box.
- Select a desired item from the search result list by clicking the corresponding title.
- On the detailed record of the item, the “Get It” tab indicates the location and status of the title. Copies that are available from other institutions will appear on the list.
- Click “HKALL request” to initiate a request for a physical item from other UGC-funded libraries.
- Indicate the volume information (if applicable) and choose preferred pick-up location. You can only request one volume at a time.
- Click “Request” button to submit the request online.
- A message “Request submitted” is shown after submitting a request. Users are advised to check MyAccount@HKUL to view the latest status whether the request is successfully placed in other UGC-funded libraries. An email notification will be sent to users when the requested item is ready for pick-up.
- “HKALL. Request sent to partner”: A request is successfully placed in UGC-funded libraries.
- “HKALL. Shipped Physically”: A HKALL item is in the processing stage.
- “HKALL. Physically received by library”: A HKALL item is ready for pick up at a selected pickup location.
Cancellation of HKALL request
- Borrowers cannot cancel the request once the request is submitted.
- You will be notified by email if your request is cancelled. The request may be cancelled by the lending library under the following circumstances:
- The item is not found on the shelf
- The item is borrowed by the local users
- The item is found to be not suitable for loan (e.g. non-circulating, in poor condition, etc.)
Why HKALL request is not available?
The HKALL request may not be available when ...
- you have not signed in to Find@HKUL.
- you are not eligible for HKALL services.
- you have reached the maximum HKALL loan/request quota.
- your requested item is available at HKU Libraries.
- your requested item is not available for HKALL services (e.g. non-loanable format and location). You can use JULAC card to visit UGC-funded libraries to use the library materials.
Please contact Lending Services and Learning Environments Division at 3917-2202 or email at email@example.com for assistance.
- Borrowers will receive an email notification when the requested item is ready for pick up.
- Items will be held at requested service counter for 5 days. Unclaimed items will be returned to the lending library without any further notification.
Returning, Recalls and Renewals
- HKALL items must be returned to Services Counter in either Main Library or branch libraries.
- Borrowers should not put any HKALL items into the book drops.
- HKALL items are subject to recall by users at the lending library.
- Borrowers will receive an email notification once the item is recalled by another patron and the new due date is calculated from the date of renewal. Borrowers are advised to return the recalled item within 15 days from the date of recall to avoid overdue fines incurred or suspension of borrowing privilege.
- Borrowers can renew HKALL books online via MyAccount@HKUL on Find@HKUL, unless the item is recalled by the lending library or the maximum renewal period is reached. Any overdue fine will be recorded automatically.
- The renewal period will be the same as the original loan period. The maximum renewal period of 15 days and 30 days can be renewed up to 45 days and 90 days respectively.
Overdue and Fines
- Fines for the late return or late renewals of HKALL items will be charged as below:
Loan category Fines Maximum overdue fines General items $2/day $100* Recalled items $4/day
*The maximum fine for a long overdue item would be $200, inclusive of the additional processing fee/long overdue fine of $100 and the maximum overdue fines of $100.
Loss and Damage of HKALL Books
- Borrowers shall be held responsible for any loss or damage of the borrowed HKALL books (including the assumed lost item) and abide by the book replacement and/or penalty policies of the lending libraries.
- Please take good care of HKALL books borrowed from the other libraries. HKALL books should not be taken overseas without prior permission from the lending libraries.