Interlibrary Loans Services
- Storage Collection Document Delivery
- Interlibrary Loan
- Interbranch Returns
- Off Campus Article Delivery
- Overseas Book Loan Initiative
- JULAC Libraries Access
All students and JULAC users can send online request for materials stored in Storage. Requested articles will be delivered electronically and books can be picked up in any specified branch. Bound journals can only be borrowed by Academic staff, research staff, honorary staff, SPACE academic staff, technicians and postgraduates.
The Lending Services Department procures resources which are not available in the University Libraries from local and overseas sources.
All eligible users will be given an assigned quota per academic year. If the number of requested items exceeds this quota, a cost recovery basis charge will be applied. The following table gives details:
|Terms of Service I / Band G or above staff||40|
|Research Staff, Research Assistants and Demonstrators||40|
|Postgraduates of the University of Hong Kong||40|
|Final year degree students +||25|
|All HKU undergraduates except the final year students (CRL collections only)||25|
|SPACE higher degree students (local resources only)||40|
* Resources obtained from CRL collections will be deducted from the ILL quota.
+ Final year degree students need supervisor's endorsement if the number of requested items exceeds quota.
Types of materials can be requested via ILL:
- Loans of books and scores
- Photocopies of journal articles
- Photocopies of book chapters
- Theses which can be circulated in the library
Expected time for the items to arrive the library:
- Loans and photocopies from local institutes: 1 week
- Loans and photocopies from overseas institutes: 2 - 3 week
** Ninety percent of the resources arrive the library within the time-frame mentioned above. The rest of them depend on the availability of the resources and the workload of the lenders.
This interbranch return service excludes short loans of 14 days or less, i.e. journals, audio-visual materials, pamphlets and reserves and thread-bound materials. All materials except those mentioned earlier may be returned to any HKU Libraries circulation counters or book drops.
Terms of Service I / Band G or above (TOSI) staff from the main campus can send online requests via ILLiad to obtain photocopies of journal articles held in medical and dental and vice versa for medical and dental TOSI staff for journals held in the main library. Each photocopy request will cost HKD0.3 per page.
Terms of Service I / Band G or above staff (excluding Research Assistants and Demonstrators).
The Libraries will purchase requested books not available for loan in Hong Kong. If the purchase cannot be fulfilled within five working days, the item will be obtained overseas through interlibrary loans. Cost arising from such requests will be borne by the Libraries.
1. JULAC Cards
Privileges & Obligations
Use the resources in libraries of other UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong.
- Borrow books from other UGC-funded libraries on obtaining barcode label at circulation counter of the visited libraries.
- Return items to the lending UGC-funded libraries via the Lending Services Department during library opening hours. To allow time for despatch, the Libraries will only accept items two or more working days before their due date. Overdue items will not be accepted.
- Users are bound by library regulations of the visited libraries and will be required to pay fines for overdue books at the rate set by those libraries.
- Academic Staff
- Research staff (including Research Assistants and Demonstrators) & Professional and Senior Administrative Staff
- HKU postgraduates of higher degree / diploma / certificate programmes in the University of Hong Kong
2. Reader’s cards for bachelor degree students
All UGC funded undergraduate students may apply for Reader's Cards from other UGC-funded libraries.Each reader’s card is valid till 31 July of each current academic year. A charge of HKD50 will apply for each host library per year. Students need to reapply each year.
All application can be made online. A passport size of photograph should be presented on picking up the card.