Facilities & Services
- Registration and Borrowing Services
- Self-Service Collection
- Reference Services
- Interlibrary Services
- Self-service Photocopying and Printing Services
- Level 3
- Study Places
- E-Learning Lab
- Library Corner
Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Lending Services Division provides services related to registration of library users, loan and return of materials, as well as access to library facilities. Find out more about the services available:
Located on the 2/F of the Main Library, the Self-Service Collection houses course reserves and hold books. Registered users tap or scan their library cards to enter.
- Course reserves are recommended materials by teaching staff for course reading purposes.
- Hold books are requested items that are ready for your collection. Items are arranged alphabetically by requestor’s surname. Use the self-check machine in the Self-Service Room to borrow your hold books.
The Main Library offers a variety of services to assist users with reference and research enquiries. These include general consultation, library orientations, database workshops, as well as printed and online research tools. Find out more about these services.
The Lending Services Counter is located on the 2/F of Main Library. It helps eligible members of the University community to procure materials which are not available in the HKU Libraries. Find out more about the services available:
- Interlibrary Loan
- Interlibrary Loan (Central Fund subsidised)
- Interbranch Loan
- JULAC Cards
- Self-service Copiers on all floors; a color copier on the Special Collections, 1st floor (New Wing)
- Microfilm, Microfiche and Transparency Printing
- Find out more about the services available
Located on the 3rd floor of the Main Library, Level 3 is a learning commons style facility providing a variety of spaces suitable for different learning styles including reflective self-study as well as collaborative study. With a floor area of 3,100 square metres, Level 3 comprises 5 zones, namely Technology, Collaboration, Study, Breakout and Multi-purpose. Find out more about the Level 3 facility.
The Main Library has over 1,440 study spaces, making it the most ideal place to study on campus. Find out more about the facilities available:
- Study Tables
- Single Study Rooms
- Special Room For Visually Impaired Students
Located on the G/F of the Main Library, the E-Learning Lab is a multi-purpose mini-theatre designed for library instruction, conferences and seminars. The room has a seating capacity of 46, and each seat is equipped with a high-end notebook computer connected to the Internet.
The Library Corner is located on the ground floor of the Main Library for use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is a separate part from the library with learning commons style facilities. The area is equipped with a smart card access system, a dedicated air-conditioning system, a CCTV system, a help alarm and some lighting at the entrance from the backyard. Outside the opening hours of the Main Library, HKU staff and students can access the 24-hour facility via the rear entrance. To save energy, the new air-conditioning system is also equipped with motion sensors such that its operation can be automatically adjusted when no user is detected in that area.