Subject Policy Statement - PHILOSOPHY
A. Purpose and Program Description
The Libraries seeks to support research and teaching in all areas of philosophy. Programs and courses include undergraduate and postgraduate (by research) courses up to Ph.D. in Western and Chinese philosophy, philosophy and cognitive science, ethics, moral and political philosophy, metaphysics, logic, philosophy of nature, food, art, law, and language, and major Western and Chinese thinkers.
Research focuses on logic, ethics, theories of justice, social and political philosophy, philosophy of nature and science, environmental philosophy, early modern philosophy and the European Enlightenment, philosophy of mind and language, Chinese philosophy, comparative philosophy, Daoism, philosophy of law, contemporary European philosophy, ethics, philosophy of literature, moral and social philosophy, epistemology and comparative philosophy.
Areas of established specialization are the classic works of Chinese and Western philosophy and philosophers, epistemology, ethics, and logic.
The Collection supports the needs of undergraduate, graduate and Ph.D. students, the teaching faculty, and many visiting researchers.
B. General Selection Guidelines (See Classed Analysis)
Overall, the Libraries' existing collection and acquisitions commitment, based upon available resources, and its collection goal for Philosophy are all at the research level.
C. Specific Delimitations
- Formats collected: We collect monographs, annuals, reference tools, and scholarly series extensively; periodicals, audio-visual materials, microforms, CD-ROMs and other electronic tools, and dissertations (other than HKU dissertations) selectively.
- Imprint Dates Collected: We collect current and 20th century publications extensively and 19th century and earlier materials selectively.
- Chronological Focus: We collect materials focusing on all chronological periods.
- Languages Collected: We collect English and Chinese materials extensively and other non-English language materials selectively.
- Place of Publication: We collect materials published in the United Kingdom , United States and China extensively, and materials published elsewhere selectively.