Subject Policy Statement - INDUSTRIAL & MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
A. Purpose and Program Description
The Libraries seek to support research and teaching in the Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering Department. The Collection supports the needs of the educational programmes offered by the Department, at both undergraduate and the postgraduate levels leading to the BEng(IETM), BEng(LESCM), the course work degree MSc(Eng) and the research-based MPhil and PhD degrees.
The programmes offered at the Department cover a variety of subjects: industrial marketing, product development, manufacturing systems engineering, business systems and management, financial management and control, logistic skills, systems engineering and interpersonal skills. There are three main research groups in the Department focusing on the following strategic aspects of such systems (1) Multi-modal transshipment hub operations (2) Computer-based customer relationship management for the logistics industry (3) Automated Warehousing.
Multi-disciplinary treatment of subjects
They are usually courses that are concerned with: Nanotechnology, Business systems and management, Financial management and control.
Primary users are faculty members, undergraduates and postgraduates major in the subject. The collection also serves users from other Departments e.g. Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Business & Economics who work in collaboration and/or have study interests related to the subject.
B. General Selection Guidelines (See classed analysis-link to conspectus table)
Overall, the Libraries' existing collection and acquisitions commitment, based upon available resources, and its collection goal for the subject areas are at the Research level.
C. Specific Delimitations
- Formats collected: Extensive variety of formats are collected. We collect monographs, annuals, reference tools, scholarly series, periodicals, CD-ROMs and other electronic tools, and videocassettes extensively ; textbooks and dissertations (other than HKU dissertations), selectively.
- Imprint Dates Collected: We collect current publications extensively, and earlier materials, selectively.
- Chronological Focus: Contemporary. No limit to coverage in terms of intellectual content but emphasis is on collecting most recent materials.
- Languages Collected: We collect English language materials extensively and non-English language materials selectively, with translations into English are preferred.
- Place of Publication: We collect extensively materials from North American, European and United Kingdom and other materials selectively.