Subject Policy Statement - GEOGRAPHY
A. Purpose and Program Description
The Libraries seeks to support research and teaching in all areas of physical and human geography. Programs and courses include undergraduate and postgraduate (by coursework or research) courses up to Ph.D. in three streams: environmental, China and urban studies. Subjects taught in the three streams include Hong Kong land and resources studies, global environmental issues, map studies, natural resources and conservation, human, physical and economic geography, urban planning and development, China studies, climatology, ecology, tourism and recreation studies, transport geography, and geographic information systems.
Research focuses on urban planning and development, transport issues, global environmental changes and management, landform and hydrology, natural hazards and soils and vegetation studies, GIS and remote sensing and computer cartography, mainly with a geographic focus on China, Hong Kong, and the Asia-Pacific region.
Areas of established specialization are the classic works of physical, human and economic geography, environmental issues, urban planning and development, especially in China and Hong Kong.
The Collection supports the needs of undergraduate, graduate and Ph.D. students, the teaching faculty, and many visiting researchers.
B. General Selection Guidelines (See Classed Analysis)
Overall, the Libraries' existing collection and acquisitions commitment, based upon available resources, and its collection goal for Geography are all at the research level.
C. Specific Delimitations
- Formats collected: We collect monographs, annuals, reference tools, and scholarly series extensively; periodicals, audio-visual materials, microforms, CD-ROMs and other electronic tools, and dissertations (other than HKU dissertations) selectively.
- Imprint Dates Collected: We collect current publications extensively and earlier materials selectively.
- Chronological Focus: We collect materials focusing on all chronological periods.
- Languages Collected: We collect English and Chinese materials extensively and other non-English language materials selectively.
- Place of Publication: We collect materials published in China , Hong Kong, the United Kingdom and United States extensively, and materials published elsewhere selectively.