Subject Policy Statement - DENTISTRY
A. Purpose and Program Description
The Dental Library seeks to support research and teaching in all aspects of dentistry including dental materials, dental public health, dental technology, endodontics, family dentistry, oral bio-sciences, oral radiology, oral rehabilitation, oral & maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, paediatric dentistry, and periodontology. It also supports the certificate and diploma programmes in Dental Surgery Assistant, Dental Technicians and Dental Hygienists offered by the Prince Philip Dental Hospital and HKUSPACE. The Collection supports the needs of undergraduate and postgraduate students; as well as the teaching faculty, researchers and private dental practitioners.
B. General Selection Guidelines (See Classed Analysis)
Overall, the Library's existing collection and acquisitions commitment, based upon available resources for Dentistry are at study and teaching to research level. Its collecting goal; however, is at the research level.
C. Specific Delimitations
- Formats collected: We collect monographs, annuals, reference tools and scholarly series extensively. Periodicals, CD-ROMs and other electronic tools, and videocassettes are collected selectively. Dissertations are collected very selectively.
- Imprint Dates Collected: We collect current publications extensively and earlier century materials selectively.
- Chronological Focus: We collect materials focusing on current research topics extensively. All other periods are collected selectively.
- Languages Collected: We collect English language materials extensively and non-English language materials very selectively.
- Place of Publication: We collect North American and Western European materials extensively and materials published elsewhere selectively.