Through searching HKALL, students and staff of HKU and HKU SPACE (full-time students only) can borrow books from the other seven participating libraries by requesting them online and having them delivered to HKU's Main and Branch Libraries.
Click here to access HKALL through Find@HKUL
- Overview of HKALL services
- Searching HKALL
- Requesting and Borrowing HKALL Books
- HKALL Borrowing Rules and Regulations
- Visit “Find@HKUL” library catalogue to initiate searching.
- Sign in before conducting a search in order to get a full access to features provided in Find@HKUL.
- HKU Staff and Students: Enter your HKU Portal ID and PIN. (If you do not have a Portal ID and PIN or have forgotten yours, please refer to the Information Technology Services web page).
- Other library users (including SPACE, alumni, Circle of Friends, distance learners in Mainland China and JULAC users): Enter your Library Card Number and PIN (First time users can set up a PIN here. If you have forgotten your PIN, please approach Services Counter for help).
- Conduct a search
- Simple search: Type keywords or search terms in the search box and select “HKALL” search scope under the search box.
- Advanced search: Click “Advanced Search” and select “HKALL” in “Search for” column.
Requesting and Borrowing HKALL Books
What can be requested?
Books that are NOT available in HKU Libraries but with the status "AVAILABLE" in other UGC-funded libraries on HKALL can be requested.
How to make a request?
- Sign in before conducting a search in order to get full access to features provided in Find@HKUL.
- Conduct a search in Find@HKUL and select "HKALL" search scope under the search box.
- Select a desired item from the search result list by clicking the corresponding title.
- On the detailed record of the item, the “Get It” tab indicates the location and status of the title. Copies that are available from other institutions will be appeared in the list.
- Click “HKALL request” to initiate a request of physical item from other UGC-funded libraries.
- Fill out the volume information if any (one request per volume) and choose preferred pick up location.
- Click “Request” button to submit the request online. You will not be able to select the option if (i) your HKALL quota is reached or (ii) the item is not requestable through HKALL.
- A message “Request submitted” is shown after submitting a request. Users are advised to check MYACCOUNT@HKUL to view the latest status whether the request is successfully placed in other UGC-funded libraries. An email notification will be sent to users when the requested item is ready for pick-up.
- "HKALL. Request sent to partner": A request is successfully placed in UGC-funded libraries.
- "HKALL. Shipped Physically": A HKALL item is in the processing stage.
- "HKALL. Physically received by library": A HKALL item is ready for pick up at selected pickup location.
What are the borrowing and returning procedures?
- A pick-up reminder will be sent when the requested items arrive at HKU Libraries. Items can be collected at the Services Counter. Items are kept on hold for 5 working days. Items not claimed will be returned to the lending library without prior notification to the users concerned.
- HKALL items should be returned to Services Counter in either branch libraries or Main Library. Please DO NOT use book drops for returning HKALL books.
HKALL Borrowing Rules and Regulations
Loan/Request Quota and Loan Periods (calendar days)
|Eligible Users||Maximum No. of Books to be Requested or Borrowed*||Loan periods (days)||Maximum Renewal Period (days)|
|HKU||Academic, Professional and Senior Administrative and Research staff||30 items||30 days||90 days|
|Visiting scholars||15 items||30 days||90 days|
|Honorary staff||15 items||15 days||45 days|
|Non-academic staff||15 items||15 days||45 days|
|Technicians||15 items||15 days||45 days|
|Postgraduates||15 items||30 days||90 days|
|Undergraduates||15 items||15 days||45 days|
|SPACE||Academic staff||15 items||30 days||90 days|
|Non-academic staff and Part-time tutors||15 items||15 days||45 days|
|International College (IC) Students||15 items||15 days||45 days|
|Community College Students||15 items||15 days||45 days|
|Centennial College Students||15 items||15 days||45 days|
*Important: The HKALL loan and request quota is counted as the total number of loan quota. The quota will be taken up once the HKALL item has been requested and it will be released when the item is returned and checked-in by the lending library.
- Holds cannot be placed on checked out HKALL books. However, HKU users can recall items which are loaned out to other UGC-funded libraries by placing a hold request.
- Users will receive a recall notice via email once the loaned item is requested by another patron. A new due date will supersede all previous loan periods or due dates. Users are advised to return the recalled item within 15 days from the date of recall to avoid overdue fines incurred or suspension of borrowing privilege.
- Renewals of HKALL items are allowed on the condition that the item concerned is not recalled by any local patron of the lending library.
- Users can renew HKALL books online via their individual circulation accounts accessible by clicking "MYACCOUNT@HKUL" on Find@HKUL. No email notification will be sent out and it is the users' responsibility to observe the new due date shown in their own circulation record.
- The renewal period will be the same as the original loan period and the maximum renewal length for 15 and 30 days loan periods is 45 and 90 days respectively.
- Renewal is treated as a continuation of loan and thus the book concerned will still be subject to recall at any time.
Cancellation of Requests
- Users cannot cancel the request once the request is submitted.
- The lending libraries may cancel the requests if the requested items are (i) not found on the shelf, or (ii) being checked out by the local users or (iii) found to be not suitable for loan. The users concerned will be notified by email if the requested items are canceled.
Overdue and Fines
- An overdue notice will be sent via email to all categories of users as soon as the loan period of an HKALL book expires.
- Fines for failing to return overdue items are as follows:
- Normal overdue: HK$2.00 per item per calendar day
- Recalled overdue: HK$4.00 per item per calendar day
* Important: It is the responsibility of the users to provide a current email address to the Libraries.
Loss and Damage of HKALL Books
- It is the users' responsibility to take good care of HKALL books borrowed from the other libraries. No HKALL books should be taken overseas without prior permission from the lending libraries.
- Users will be held responsible for any loss or damage of the HKALL books borrowed. Book replacement and penalty policies of the lending libraries will be followed when such cases arise.