Online Training, Guides & Tools
Training & Tutorials
- University of Minnesota, Online Data Management Course
- EDINA, University of Edinburgh, Mantra Research Data Management Training
- EDINA, University of Edinburgh, Mantra, Data Handling Tutorials (SPSS 19, R, ArcGIS 10.2, and NVivo 9)
- UK Data Service, Video Tutorials
- DCC, Digital Curation 101 Materials
- Michigan State University, Research Data Fundamentals
- University of Southhampton, Research data introductory guide for students in the University of Southampton
- DataONE, Primer on Data Management
- QSR, NVivo, Getting Started
- Kent State University, NVivo
- Kent State University, SPSS and AMOS
- GNU PSPP
- University of Amsterdam, discipline specific research data management.
- IASSIST, Resources. Many discipline specific pages.
- University of Cambridge, DataTrain, Managing Research Data in Archaelogy
- University for the Creative Arts, VADS4R, Visual arts data skills for researchers
- ISA. ISA Framework, Tools to manage life science, environmental and biomedical experiments.
- Tools to create data management plans (DMP). Use one of their templates for compliance with a a certain funder or institution, or create your own DMP with their guidance.DMPTool.
- Electronic Lab Notebooks (ELN).
Laboratory notebooks are the primary records many researchers use to document the hypotheses, methodology, results, and analysis of their research. Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (ELNs) move these records into digital formats and add functionality such as collaboration, templates, and searching.
- Digital Science has recently developed Projects, an application that lets researchers safely manage and organise their research data on the desktop. It provides a visual timeline to make finding files easy, backup functionality to help seamlessly recover previous versions of files, annotation features and a structured hierarchy to encourage users to organise their files.
- Collaborate with fellow researchers on data during the 'active' phase of your research using DataStage. DataStage is open source software enabling research groups to set up shared drives with different levels of access for collaborators. DataStage facilitates the deposit of data (with accompanying metadata) into data repositories.
- Sherpa JULIET is a useful tool offering information on research funders' policies on open access data archiving and open access publishing. Use Sherpa Juliet to find out whether your funder requires you to deposit your final data in a particular repository.