Research data management involves different processes throughout the entire research life cycle. Tools listed in this page may help you manage your research data more effectively. Note that this selective list may not be applicable to researchers in all subject areas. You are advised to follow best practices in your discipline as appropriate.
Data Management Planning
- DMPonline Developed by Digital Curation Centre in the UK, this online tool helps researchers to write data management plans by guiding them to answer essential questions. DMPonline addresses specific funder requirements in the UK and also covers EU funders.
- DMPTool Created by the California Digital Library, University of California Curation Center, this online tool allows users to create, review and share data management plans. DMPTool has specific guides on US funder requirements.
More information about data management plans can be found in our webpage.
- Open Science Framework An open source, cloud-based workflow management service that serves as a scholarly commons for documentation, files, collaboration, and connecting to services for research outputs.
- Microsoft SharePoint A collaborative online workspace that can be used for storing and sharing files. Users can interact and collaborate within a secure website. Eligible HKU staff can refer to the HKU ITS webpage to apply for this service.
- OpenRefine A useful tool for working with messy data: data cleaning, format transformation, extension with web services, and linking to databases. Check out also Cornell’s University best practices on tabular data.
- Nesstar Publisher A free tool which can be used for preparation of data and metadata.
- Text Anonymisation Helper Tool Developed by the UK Data Service, it is an add-on Microsoft Word macro to help researchers find disclosive information to remove or pseudonymise in qualitative data files. Refer to UK Data Service for more tools in social sciences research.
- Research software in HKU. A number of commonly used software for research is available in Chi Wah Learning Commons and KB 110, managed by HKU ITS:
- Geographic information system:
- Qualitative research:
- Quantitative research:
- License selector A handy tool created by EUDAT (European Data Infrastructure) to help researchers select the appropriate license for their research data. More information about licensing and access rights can be found in our webpage.
- Online training modules
- MANTRA: Research Data Management: A free, interactive online course developed by University of Edinburgh for researchers and others who manage digital data as part of a research project.
- Research Data Management and Sharing: A MOOC developed by University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and University of Edinburgh. The course will help researchers understand different aspects of managing and sharing research data.
- e-Science Thesaurus Developed by University of Massachusetts, this thesaurus covers major topics related to research data management. It also lists out related literature and resources for further exploration.
- Data Q A collaborative platform for answering research data questions in academic libraries. You can ask, browse, and search for answers on different research data topics.
Acknowledgement: Information in this webpage includes adaptation from Digital Curation Centre, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, ICPSR, and University of Oxford.