empty space icon
empty space icon   empty space icon
banner
empty space icon
Brief history  

2011
OCT

Completed installing RFID system at the branch libraries and Main Library’s Audio-visual & Reserve Collection. Together with the items converted in 2008, we tagged a total of 1.8 million items and by far, are the largest global RFID installation in university libraries. The Libraries, in conjunction with the contractor 3M (Hong Kong), also received the Silver Award for the Best EPC/RFID Implementation in the 2011 Hong Kong RFID Awards

 

2011
MAR

Official launch of the Libraries centenary celebrations

 

2008

Installed over 1.1 million radio frequency identification (RFID) tags into items with barcodes. This enabled users to check out and check in their own library books using self-check stations

 

2006

Submitted 75,912 original cataloguing records to the OCLC WorldCat database, making the library the largest contributor among the Online Computer Library Centre (OCLC) libraries. At the time of writing, the Libraries continues to be the largest contributor in original cataloguing records to the OCLC

 

2006

Launched the HKU Scholars Hub, HKU’s institutional repository using DSpace software, developed by MIT and Hewlett-Packard

 

2005

Took a leading role in establishing the Hong Kong Academic Library Link (HKALL), a union catalogue allowing the students and staff of the eight UGC-funded libraries to search a mega collection of over 6 million titles of monographs (9M+ volumes) held in the eight participating libraries. They can make direct requests on these materials, and have the materials delivered to the libraries of their respective institutions for further checkout

 

2002

The library collection increased to more than 2 million volumes. The Second Millionth Volume Celebration was used to draw the attention of the HKU and Hong Kong communities to the importance and contributions of the library

 

2000

Became the first library in Hong Kong to provide electronic books via the vendor, netLibrary

 

1998

Added an off-campus site at Hing Wai Centre to house the Bindery and a compact storage of less frequently used collections

 

1996

Innopac brought into use to replace the DRA system. For the first time in the history of the library, the Western language and CJK (Chinese Japanese and Korean) records were held in the same integrated system. Patrons could view their own circulation records as well as manage their own book requests and renewals. Simultaneous search on several library catalogues was also made possible

 

1995

HKU Libraries Homepage launched. Since that time, it has developed into the virtual hub for accessing a rich collection of digital resources that the Libraries provides

 

1991

Completion of the Library New Wing. It was fully operational on 1 July 1990. The official opening ceremony was held on 19 December, when Sir David Wilson, then Hong Kong Governor, unveiled a plaque commemorating the event and toured the new library building

 

1989

Implementation of the DRA system, an integrated library system, replacing the cataloguing, acquisitions and serials systems which had been designed in-house in the 1980s. Subsequently the online public access catalogue was named DRAGON, a acronym of DRA GO ONLINE

 

1986

Mr Leung Kau Kui and Mr Robert Tam each gave $5 million to set up Library Endowment Funds in their names. Mr Tam made a further substantial donation to the Robert Tam Library Endowment Fund in 1988

 

1980

Introduction of an Online Information Service, using the ORBIT system of SDC Search Service, Santa Monica, California, using a satellite link arranged by Cable & Wireless (now PCCW)

 

1978

First automation project with the development of a Machine-Readable Cataloguing (MARC) database

 

1975

Set up an enquiry desk in the library entrance area to encourage the use of the reference service

 

1961

The Main Library moved from the Main Building to the Library Old Wing

 

1946

The University’s first post-war academic session began. The Libraries re-opened

 

1932

Fung Ping Shan Library (馮平山圖書館) was opened by Sir William Peel, then Hong Kong Governor

 

1912

The University opened its door to students. The University Library occupied two rooms in the Main Building

empty space icon

Contact Us

(852) 2859-8903
friends@lib.hku.hk

scroll